+ives and -ives

This week I saw the above abbreviation for positives and negatives used in a presentation; so I thought I’d make a blog entry title from it for recall’s sake.

Negatives:

  • Indications are that a significant number of citizens won’t exercise their civic duty to vote. 11/2/2004 update: I’m thrilled to say that, although 30~40% of our citizenry is still a lot of people, voter turnout for this election was at a record high!
  • Convenient software doesn’t necessarily mean that said software fully protects your privacy. That being said–and I’m not saying that any of the following programs are intentionally malicious–I want to deeply analyze privacy concerns regarding the desktop search engine space–as well as footprint, performance, reliability, etc.:
  • Google Desktop (in beta currently) – eWeek’s Larry Seltzer may have saved me some analysis effort here; so may have Scott Hanselman here and also Phil Haack here
  • Copernic Desktop Search – Phil Haack provides some perspective on this (vs. GD) here
  • X1 Desktop Search – Jim Blizzard casts his vote for X1 here (Chris Sells agrees)
  • (Forthcoming) MSN Personal Search (i.e. next major release of Microsoft’s acquired Lookout technology, which is supposed to address indexing performance among other things)
  • Chad Dickerson asks a question that’s been on my mind recently: Is the continuing drive to deliver enterprise apps through the browser ultimately a path to trouble?
  • Thanks to picking up a copy of the May 31, 2004 Wine Spectator while on vacation, I know more than I ever wanted to know about coffee: When grown, processed and brewed properly, coffee can be as complex as a first-growth Bordeaux. Coffee has 1500 flavor components–three times more than wine.
  • Not enough time in a day to live, work and blog–so the blog has suffered

Positives:

  • The California Secretary of State predicts 73% voter turnout; if you’re part of the remaining 27%, how about getting with the program and vote your conscience?
  • Daniel Silva continues to deliver one good read after another – I appear to be going backward through his series of spy novels focused on the Gabriel Allon character (aka Sword). After reading A Death in Venice I read The Confessor and most recently finished The English Assassin. So, the first book in the four-book series (thus far), The Kill Artist, is next on my list. As I read Silva, my Latin continues to improve :-) ; for example: ignorantia affectata (cultivated ignorance) – a willful lack of knowledge designed to protect one from harm, and uomo di fiducia (man of trust) – uomini di fiducia (men of trust)
  • The FxCop team released version 1.312 of this valuable, free tool. In less than ten minutes including the time to update my FxCop installation from 1.30, I was able to re-run FxCop against a collection of C# projects and be told a number of ways to make them even more robust. Talk about productivity–this is great! As the knowledge base of expert Microsoft .NET Framework usage grows, so grows the power of FxCop. If you’re not using it today in your .NET development, you really should consider doing so.

Update 12/1/2008: For more of my book reviews and to see what else is in my book library (i.e. just the business-related or software-related non-fiction therein), please visit my Books page.

-Craig
http://craigrandall.net/
@craigsmusings